Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Bitching Hour

Good morning world.

For a change this blog may reach people numbering in their hundreds, rather than the single figures that I am used to. Why? It is definately not because I have anything of real interest to divulge, it is merely because I have been messing with the settings in "new" facebook and discovered that you can forward blog posts from other sites so that they are published in your notes. So, essentially, this rare addition to my blog is merely a chance for me to stare in awe at the splendour of web 2.0 and all its shiny, shiny goodness.

If I ever do think of anything interesting to say then I also have the option of using Nokia's Lifeblog service (installed on my shiny new phone). I think this means that I can publish my ramblings on the move, but to be completely honest I haven't quite worked out how to use it yet. It amazes me how much a person can fascinate and indeed salivate over features such as this on a phone. I suppose it is something that is ingrained into the hearts of all geeks and tech lovers. And yet, like many of the fads of my past, my interest in this particular bell/whistle has faded. I honestly can't imagine the level of urgency involved for me to have to publish a blog whilst out and about. Surely if the news/gossip/bollocks was so important I would tell people directly rather than having to wait for them to be passing by my page on Blogger. Updates like that are reserved for the important, the interesting and the egocentric.

Now that everyone is aware of the new methods of blogging that I have available to me (but will ultimately choose to ignore), I think it is time to acknowledge the original purpose of this blog. I originally started this blog after becoming a projectionist in order to have a space in which I could post film reviews and pieces of news that I thought were of interest. And whereever news and reviews were thin on the ground I would update you on my various writing endeavours.

I have been decidedly lax when it comes to updating this blog. I will openly admit that I have been lazy and often forgetful, however, my lack of fresh self-deprecation and scattergun vitriol does not stem exclusively from these partiular character flaws. I believe that I avoid writing in my blog for such extended periods because it remids me that I could be writing something infinitley more rewarding. I could be finishing assignments on my correspondance course in creative writing, I could be completeing the book that I have been half-heartedly working on for the past 3 years, I could be submitting articles to magazines for publication. And yet I never do any of these things. So here I am at my prime blog posting slot between the hours of 0300 and 0400, finally typing something, but realising that this update is merely another distraction aimed at indefinately delaying myself from ever staring to write something with any meaning. It is an incredibly frustrating feeling, which is only made worse by the fact that I am bringing it on myself.

Maybe I will take the David Lynch route to artistic exploration and begin a programme or Transcendental Meditation. The theory and philosophy behind it is fascinating. At first glance TM has cult written all over it, but look at little deeper, past the joining fee, past the new-ageness of it all and it really starts to make sense. In fact, there is a TM run primary/secondary school in Skelmersdale (location of the TM UK headquarters) that supplements the regular curriculum with periods of meditation. The intention is to create a relaxed and open-minded learning environment. Result - Consistently good (destroying the national averages) GCSE results across the board and well rounded students with a healthy attitude towards life and learning.

I very much like the philosophy that all you need to help yourself can be found within. I believe that to have faith in oneself is a far greater thing that to have faith in any of the many deities that have come and gone over the millenia. I'll let you know how things are going if I ever decide to give it a go rather than just sitting here whining into the void.

So, once again, so long, farewell...parting is such sweet sorrow.

No comments: